Thursday, March 13, 2008

To Ski or Not to Ski, Like It's Even a Question

I recently ended a relationship with someone after he displayed such a lack of understanding of my beloved sport of skiing, that I could not look him in the eye, let alone be seen in public with him.

We went to go night skiing together, me and his two kids. He claimed to be a skier, although one who hadn't gone in a few years.

He showed up with his own ski boots but could not get them on his feet. I suggested he rent boots because (to my untrained eye) CLEARLY his boots did not fit. Even after he sprayed WD-40 on his FEET (not kidding).

He proceeded to strip off his socks and try to stuff his bare feet into his undersized, cold boots. At this point he proclaimed our watching him was making it impossible to get his boots on and we should leave.

He tells me his 7 year old daughter is a good skier so I should take her up on the beginner slope when he continues to shove his feet in the boots.

I get her up on the slope only to discover she is terrified and shocked to have her parent send her up the scare-lift with a perfect stranger (my having only met her once before).

So ... ski patrol finally comes over and helps us both down, as she is frozen in place. We meet her now-shod father at the bottom. It is about 5 degrees and he has no googles or hat.

I realize I am hoping no one I know sees me with this guy, with his sockless feet, frightened child and hatless head. I guess skiing is a non-negotiable rule in the dating game.

No comments: