Monday, April 21, 2008

Regularly Scheduled Programming


Just a quick update on my dating exploits. I'm on vacation so I've been able to meet losers from a wider geographic area than usual.

The Personal Trainer - I spent 4 days at a high-end luxury spa in the Berkshires. I took a few fitness classes from a handsome specimen with the unlikely name of Blaise (pronounced like "Blaze" although I preferred to call him "Blase"). He suggested I meet him at a local watering hole after I checked out of the spa.

The Disabled - Blaise was a no show but I did meet Charles. We chatted over a few beers. I told him what I did for work and asked him his line of work. He has been unemployed and disabled for several years. Do I attract the best or what? He gamely gave me his phone number before departing, asking me to call if I pass through Lenox, MA again. Who knows, maybe I could use some advice on enrolling in SSI disability.

The Dudes - Gal Pal Terry and I went out to hear a band in a little tavern in Mass. Fri. night. It was an Allman Brother's Tribute band and every 40-50 year old man in MetroWest showed up in their best tie-die shirts. At 12:55am, 5 minutes before closing, a dude gamely asked if me and my friend would like to drive about 20 miles to join them in a hot tub and smoke weed. We declined - thankfully it wasn't next door or we might have said yes, just to say we did it.

Mr. Hawaiin Lai - 2nd date went well. Hung out in Portsmouth. He had prepared a picnic for us and we hiked around the remains of a revolutionary war fort, thus scoring points for 3 of my favorite things - eating, hiking and history. Plus, he's a plumber and I have a sump pump that needs fixin'.

P.A.L. Redux - Yes, I am a glutton for punishment so I went skiing with PAL yesterday. I've decided a "whatever" attitude is in order. Not returning phone calls? Whatever. Not committing to even the most trivial things? Whatever. See? It works!

I am on vacation with my daughther this week so alas, my free-wheeling ways will be curtailed for the next week. But I have heard that playgrounds are a GREAT way to meet divorced dads.

No comments: