Sunday, December 14, 2008

Santa Baby

I know I said I was swearing off dating for a while, but much like a crack whore, I just can't help myself. I lasted a whole two weeks, when on a snowy miserable Thursday night home alone, I enjoyed a bottle of wine and posted on Craigslist. "Anyone want to go out Saturday night?" That was it. I went to bed and woke up the next morning to a full inbox.

It was overwhelming and I cursed myself for my tipsy folly in posting the previous night. Why would I start this up again so close to the holiday mayhem? Most of them were the usual suspects - unattractive unintelligent lonely hearts' club members. But one stood out - "meet me at the Parka Fri. night" - he asked without asking me for a photo while including his own picture in his reply.

"There is no way," I thought to myself, "someone this good looking could be asking ME out without a photo." But there he was - probably circa 1986 I reasoned. Before the accident. Before the weight gain.

So we met up at the Parka and it was one of the rare instances where the man in question was BETTER looking than his photo. Holy shit - how did this happen? He lives locally, is intelligent and has all his teeth. He appears to avoid all the deal breakers (see previous post) including the height requirement (sorry LO). The only downside is that he shares the same first name as my ex (but that is what pet names are for, right?). And I am an acquaintance of HIS ex (small town).

We talked and danced the night away and exchanged phone numbers at the end. And low and behold, he actually called me today and we're going skiing together tomorrow.

Maybe it was the St. Jude's prayer card on my bedroom dresser mirror. Or my furtive wish to Santa to not be alone on the holidays. All I know is, I'm looking forward to Monday for a change.

No comments: