Thursday, January 01, 2009

Happy Fucking New Year!

Greetings from the great white north on this, the first day of 2009, what can only be a better year than 2008. Of course, I said that in 2008 about 2007 and look what happened.

But this year starts on a bright note. The Secret might just be right. After practicing saying, "I am worth more than a Maple Latte," the new guy I'm seeing (see Wild Thing post) gave me ... a jacket. And a really nice one at that.

"Your wish is my command," you will recall the Genie's mantra. Apparently I have just not been asking for enough. Not that I'm in this for the stuff, mind you. It's just nice to feel worth more than a cup of coffee.

So the new guy. Yes, definite potential. And interestingly enough, following KA's advice to play hard to get TOTALLY worked. I hate to think that men are that simple. "When I didn't hear back from you Monday, I thought you weren't interested in me any more. It just made you even more attractive," Wild Thing confessed on our Wed. night outing. I find this amazing. It is so totally what He's Just Not That Into You (HJNTIY) tells you to do, and the Rules, and every other dating advice book out there. And of course, it is exactly what I have never tried before.

So between HJNTIY and the Secret, I have wished an attractive, wealthy and generous being into my life, who gave me a cozy jacket as an added bonus. Incidentally, this is singularly the most generous act of ANY of the losers previously documented herein.

And for further evidence that the "hard to get" approach works, Mr. Craigslist also resurfaced. And a call from a guy another girlfriend wants to introduce me to. Maybe I need to install one of those ticket thingies they have a supermarket delis. Now that I've got the Secret and HJNTIY working for me, they're coming out of the woodwork.

So back to Wed. night. He took me out for dinner with some of his friends from work. He is so smitten that he has already told them about me and confided that "they approve of me." Because I live in a small town, we had 2 encounters with two of my former paramours during the course of his week here. First, when he came to my office, PAL sauntered in unannounced and uninvited and started gabbing about god knows what. I had to ask him to come back some other time. Then when we went out to dinner, the waitress came over and said our first round of drinks were covered ... by Spaceman who works washing DISHES there in his spare time. He bought a drink for me and my DATE. Talk about no hard feelings.

So Wild Thing is back in Rhode Island and I sit here in my living room in front of a warm wood stove on a cold New Year's Day. True, we'll have to figure out the distance thing, even though he does have business interests in the Valley. I know the phone will ring later - it is easier to will it to happen than to force it by dialing first.

No comments: